Birth Story Part 1

I have been trying to write this birth story for the last year, and for some reason I can’t find the words to write. Well here I am looking at my 14 month olds, and I am wondering where the time has really gone?? 😭

I feel like it was just yesterday when we were rushing to the hospital ready to meet our sweet babies.

It was February 7, 2018 I was 35 weeks pregnant, and I just knew the babies would be making their grand entrance any day, and grand it was!!

I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for the last 4 weeks, and had gone to the hospital twice for false labor. The last, and most recent time was at 34 weeks along, and they were able to stop any signs of early labor with fluids. They also gave me a steroid shot to boost the babies lung development, and sent me back home on bedrest. Just a few days later I was calling my nurses again wondering at what point I should return for contraction pain.

February 7th started out like any normal day that I had been having over the last few weeks – a lot of resting. I slept for most of the day, and was up pacing for most of the night. My contractions had been so intense the night before, but could be calmed with walking. I was eating my lunch that afternoon, and instantly threw up, but I was not feeling ill. This was the first time I had thrown up during my pregnancy, and I knew it was a good sign that labor was coming soon, just because that is exactly how my moms labor started when she was pregnant with me.

Around 8:30 that night my contractions started becoming more intense, and closer together. When I called the nurses station they wanted me to time them out over the next hour, but within 10 minutes my water broke. I really thought that I would be the frantic one, scurrying around the house rushing Alex out the door, but it was the exact opposite. I wanted to take my time shower, shave, and put my makeup on. But I barely got time to get my shoes on before Alex was leading me to the car. I mean I guess I don’t blame him because the hospital was 45 minutes ways, and our doctor had warned us how low baby A’s head was.😅🙈

When we checked into the emergency room I remember sitting in my wheelchair in a complete puddle of water, and it felt just like the movies. All of the women, in my family, who had given birth before had extremely quick labors, so that was an encouragement for me to try for an all natural birth experience(no pain meds).

We were checked into our room at 9:30 p.m. and by 10:00 that night I was in active labor. After walking the halls, and laboring in the tub for 2 hours I was dilated to an 8, and everyone was shocked. They called my doctor, who lived just down the road to tell him how quickly I was progressing, and he strongly advised me to get an epidural.

He shared his concerns about baby b being breeched, and wanted to be prepared for an emergency, and I am so glad that I trusted him. 🙌🏻

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s